Monday, June 04, 2007

There and back again

So much for weather predictions! All that doom and gloom rain, and Saturday morning turned out to be perfect. The run was awesome, felt great the whole time. Even better, Megan and Andrea were waiting for me at the finish line!



Turns out the numbers were in alphabetical order, so I was number 8. Normally the lowest numbers are reserved for the competitive runners, so it was funny to see such a low number. What was REALLY funny, was somewhere around mile 10, we ran by a couple of young kids, probably 7 or 8 years old. The one boy looks over to his friend and says, "Look, there's number 8!" like I was some kind of special runner. We got a good laugh out of that.



This was also my first awarded "medal" event. Kind of fun to get something like that... Normally all I have is the race bib which I usually throw away at some point. Maybe I'll keep the number 8 around for awhile. This race was dedicated to Megan, so I got a picture of her wearing the medal. The rest of the weekend I pretty much wasted away, playing World of Warcraft. Maybe even a tad too much... But hey, sometimes excess can be fun too.

Sunday morning I talked with my Mom who had some bad news to share. My uncle Jeff has been fighting liver cancer for awhile, and the initial treatment was not effective. Today he is starting chemotherapy. I don't have a good sense of how serious it is right now, probably because no one wants to think about some of the possible outcomes. All we can do is think positive, and hope the chemo does it's job. My thoughts go out to Jeff, and the rest of my family during this tough time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Shawn!
Fabulous picture - I've never seen you look better! :)