Sunday, April 23, 2006

8 days between posts?!?!

I had been meaning to post all week, but things have been pretty busy lately. Megan has been needing much more attention at night, I've got my training for the 10k, and we've had a burst of friend visits! It's been a pretty fun week, but hectic.

Wed night we had a friend from college over that I hadn't seen in 5+ years. She's living on the east cost in the New Jersey area. It was a very nice visit, and Megan was super well behaved. We were all just upstairs relaxing and talking and she fell asleep in my arms on the glider rocker. I was able to just slip her into bed after that, it was nice.

Saturday morning my running partner and I went down to Minnehaha Falls to run the actual 10k course. The weather was damn near perfect, and we had a GREAT run. We did the whole thing in 58 minutes, which was awesome. I've decided I want to try and finish the actual 10k in under and hour as well.

After the run, I mentioned to my friend how I had lived really close to there when I was growing up. I said we should drive by and check out my old house... So we headed out, it was only about a mile and half away. It's really weird because my perspective of that as a child was that the Falls were really far away.

As we drove by, there was a man working in the yard next door to our old house. I recognized him as my neighbor from all those years ago. His son and I were very good friends, we basically grew up together. I don't even remember when we became friends, because we just always were. When I moved away from Minneapolis, we tried to keep in touch, but eventually lost contact.

In classic Shawn weirdness style, I jumped out of the car and struck up a conversation with the guy. I remembered his name, and so it wasn't too weird. (hell, I remember there phone number for that matter. Stupid memory) We had a quick 3 minute conversation, and I asked how my old friend was doing and where he was at these days. Here is where the story takes a very strange turn.

He says, "Oh he's living in Apple Valley now." I respond, "Seriously? I live in Apple Valley too, where is he at?" "Down there off McAndrews? Right near the Zoo." Say what? I was floored... To think, that such a good friend from my past has been living a few blocks from my Mom's house, a few miles from me, all this time? I checked the phone book, sure enough there he was.

At this point, I'm giving serious consideration to giving him a call sometime soon. I dunno.... is that too weird? I need some opinions, so post me some comments.

2 comments:

Jim J. McGovern said...

Sup Shawn, I wanted to comment on your friend situation. Why is it always so weird to contact people from a different time in your life? I am not in contact with any friends I grew up with, and when I think about contacting them, I never do. I can't offer any real insight or give any real answers, but I wanted you to know that you're not alone.

He may even feel the same, when his dad tells him he talked to you, he probably thought, "I should call him... no, that would be weird".

brent said...

i say dewwwww it!!