Saturday, April 15, 2006

What is Funk?

Before I begin today's post, I would like to share with everyone Megan's progress with her Ninja skills. As the following picture shows, she has just about mastered the secret art of camouflage. Can you see her sitting there on the couch, ready to pounce at you?


Once she has her Ninja mask made and some nice Ninja gloves, you will hardly ever see here at the Anderson house. And if you do see her... it will probably be the last thing you ever see!

About every 4-5 months, I get in a bad funk. What do I mean? The best web definition I could find to describe my funk is as follows:

A feeling or spell of dismally low spirits
Yes, my spirits are low. I think I shall replenish my spirits, by drinking spirits tonight! Alas, that is not the solution to my funk, merely a temporary fix. It's hard to say what triggers these periods - in the past it used to be things like... Getting down on myself for being a fat ass, or playing too many video games, or not spending time with Andrea. Often times it was also work that would bring them on.

Now most of those things have been removed from my life - I'm healthier then ever. I feel like my relationship with Andrea is at an all time high (even though we struggle with Megan sometimes). I moderate my video game time... for the most part. So why the funk? Work.

It's pretty sad really... to think that ALL these things in my life right now are going so well. And yet this one minor aspect of my life has the power to just bring it all down to where I can't even get enjoyment out of some of the things that I do. Why is that? It just seems so... stupid.

I wish I had the ability to just not care about work. To just go in, do my time, and go home. The problem is... that's not the kind of person I am. I can't do things half assed. I'm either going to do it right, or not do it at all. It all goes back to my all or nothing personality. To this day, I still can't decide if it is a strength or weakness for me.

Of course all this is just a precursor to the actual question... Am I happy? That's a pretty loaded question and one that is not easy to answer. Some people would argue that happiness is simply a choice. I tend to disagree. But if not a choice, then what is it? I'm not sure I could define that either.

Like every funk, I know this one will pass as well. The interesting thing, is that sometimes, I make my best decisions in the midst of a funk. Decisions that bring about change to my life that got me into the funk in the first place, so that it doesn't happen again.

3 comments:

spock74 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
spock74 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
spock74 said...

Shawn, you really must tell me the secret of making good decisions in the midst of a funk. I do things like order Video Professor CD-ROMs that I can't even run on my Mac. Gah.

Also, Ninja-Megan rules!!