Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The Next Level

Today was a stressful day at work, and at the same time successful. Once again I was thrown into something I knew absolutely nothing about, and some how came out on top. I'd like to think these minor victories will add up to something eventually, but it's hard to say if they will. I've got to stay positive and focused on the belief that I have control over my situation at work.

I've also refocused on my eating habits. They were getting out of control for awhile there. I wasn't exactly gaining weight, but at the same time I knew I was making decisions I shouldn't have. After making some readjustments (i.e. only eating what I'm supposed to) I've dropped 4 pounds in a week in a half. Ahhh... it feels good to get back on track. A woman I worked with today jokingly said I was "getting all sexy like". That was a nice compliment!

Tonight Andrea made her famous chocolate chip cookies, with Andes mint chips. She tried something new - she replaced 1/2 cup of sugar with Splenda! They taste just as good as normal cookies. Granted, a 1/2 cup of sugar is only about 390 calories, it adds up. I love her for trying so hard, she is such a great source of support for me.

So where do I go from here? I have worries lately about what I'm going to do after the 10k. What should I do stay on track, keep on pushing myself, get to the next level? I know I want to start biking again, because I really enjoy it (vs sometimes running seems like a chore). Should I sign up for more races? Should keep focusing on weight loss or should I finally shift over to body toning and weight lifting? I'm not sure... and I'm scared I won't be able to make some of these changes on my own. Sure, I'm a smart guy and all, but when it comes to health knowledge I feel like I've still barely broken the tip of the iceberg.

Someone else I work with said he wished he could still run, that he'd like to go running with his dogs. But a bunch of sports related knee injuries make it impossible for him. My thought was, I'm just now benefiting from a life of sloth. No sports, exercise or any intense forces on my body for 25+ years. Means my knees should be good to go for at least another few years here. I sure hope!

No comments: