Thursday, June 08, 2006

The Final Countdown

Once again, another week of no posts. At least this time I actually have some excuses. Monday night I had a conference call with our offshore teams to hand off my workload from my job. The call was from 7-8pm, which was 8am for the offshore team!

Tuesday night I got in a long 5.5 mile run, which was very nice. I'm still not sure what I am going to do with my Lifetime membership. After I change medical insurance, both Andrea and I might lose our health club discounts. That's $40 bucks a month... On the other hand, I know I'm going to want a membership again this winter, so I can't really cancel either. It's almost like once they get ya, you are locked in for good.

Wed night I was over at Steve's place, helping him stain his deck. I have never stained anything in my life, so hopefully I didn't ruin anything too badly. We didn't get everything done so I really hope it doesn't rain too soon. Tonight I got home super early because I've pretty much wrapped up everything at work. I was able to get a real quick bike ride in. Just 8 miles but I did it in under 35 minutes.

Well tomorrow is my last day at work. We are going out for my "goodbye" lunch. Pretty standard procedure, but I didn't even really want to do it. Half my group is already gone, taking vacation this week. So there won't even be that many people out for lunch which will just make it that more awkward. Oh well... I guess one of the best things I've read during this whole job changing thing was about loyalty. No matter how loyal you may be to a company - when the shit hits the fan, a company will have no loyalty to its employees and would never think twice about having to lay you off. (except for maybe the guy that actually has to tell you)

I don’t know why, but for some reason that puts it all in perspective for me. I guess the fact that I've been in a company that did massive layoffs, it has more meaning to me.

No comments: