Saturday, July 22, 2006

Friday night fun

I left work early last night to head to my 5pm personal training session. I was able to get to the gym early enough to squeeze in a 30 min cardio before the session. I really needed to do that, because I slipped up a few times during the day. Something involving a krispy kreme...

The session was overall a positive thing. We did a full hour of strength training, along with some discussion about nutritional tips for runners. I think that although I have been watching calories for awhile now, it's time to take it to the next level. I have to start keeping track of the SOURCE of my calories, i.e. carb vs protein vs fat calories. I think part of what I can do better is making sure I eat carb calories before and directly after a run to recharge. This will help me fight the "famished" feeling you get after running 5+ miles.

For the strength training portion, it was all core body stuff. That means, no machines, mostly using your own bodies natural resistance. I didn't think it would be all that, but I am sore as hell today. I did do one machine for my shoulders, because I have really bad posture. That has always been a problem, which comes from the fact that I sit in a cube all my life. We also did a lot of lower back exercises, which will help me in the long run, but right now my back feels really tight. I'm going to try and run it out this morning and see how it feels.

The high point of the session was the fact that the trainer had just done the Twin Cities 10-mile run last year. So she had some great advice for me, including to make sure I do some hill training. She explained the layout of the course, and how the first 3 miles are downhill, and that often times people will go way to fast for those miles and just burn themselves out. Hopefully if I can find some time, I will do one of my longer runs in Sept on the course. Will see how that goes...

After all that, Andrea had arranged a babysitter for Megan and we went to check out the new movie Lady in the Water. It was... original, that's for sure. I think I can understand why it is getting bad reviews. In the most basic sense, you leave the theater going "Ahhh wtf was the point of that?" and to analyze it in anyway is damn near impossible. (although, I'm sure die hard fans are doing just that).

Today we are having a Mom's Club BBQ at our house, which should be a fun time. I'm going to enjoy today and count it as an "off day" for eating purposes. I haven't enjoyed a hot dog on the grill is a LONG time, so time to do that. Look for some pictures from that tomorrow!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey you never told me about the krispy kreme yesterday!

My other comment is if you want to track carbs, fat and protein sparkpeople.com is a great tool for that. I think you'd really like that website Shawn, and it's free.

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»