Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Numb3rs & New Glasses

My blood test results are in! They arrived Tuesday, so now it is time to compare. Thankfully, my wonderful wife keeps all our important things in very safe places. She was able to pull out my 2004 test results with no problem! So on to the numbers:

2004-2006OldNewIdeal
Total Cholesterol182148Under 200
HDL(good) Choles.313940-96
LDL(bad) Choles.119940-130
VLDL(bad) Choles.32125-40
Triglycerides1586030-200
LDL/HDL Ratio3.852.4
Choles./HDL Ratio5.873.8
Cardio CRP9.6.4Under 1.0

Whoa! I know, lots of numbers. There are a couple of key ones, obviously my Total Cholesterol being the first one. Lowering my total Cholesterol by 34 points is just awesome. My risk for heart disease is very low right now, and I can only imagine it will continue to improve. My HDL (good stuff) is still low, but at least it went up a little bit. Perhaps that will just take longer to get up over time. The doc's note on the results were "Low good cholesterol but excellent bad cholesterol".

The last thing to note is the CRP, or C-reactive protein. I have no clue what this number really means, but the important thing is that it's a very important number when it comes to gauging cardiovascular risk. The scale basically says, 3.1-10 is "high cardiovascular risk", and that anything over 10 could be very bad. Dropping that number from 9.6 to 0.4 is HUGE. Anything under 1.0 is considered "low cardiovascular risk".

In other words, GO ME! I probably just saved/prolonged my life by who knows how many years. How's that for motivation to keep going? Bring on the New Year baby, I'm ready.

Also, I picked up my new glasses today. I think they look okay, but it's going to take awhile to get used to them. They keep slipping down a little, I might have to go back in and get the nose section adjusted a tad tighter. Here is what they look like, figured I could squeeze in Megan as well.



Ideally, I will get one more post up pre-Christmas, but we'll see how that goes. In case I don't, everyone have a very Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome numbers!!! Good for you! My jaw dropped as I read your results - absolutely awesome! Keep it up! I love the new glasses - very hip! Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I like the new glasses. They were exactly what I was envisioning when you started posting about a new shape you were going to get.

brent said...

wow that is awesome, those are some incredible numbers man!! i like the new glasses too.
i ordered your christmas gift a week or so ago but it has not arrived yet (don't worry its small), as soon as it is delivered i will let you know. have a good holiday season if i don't talk to you before then. i'm going to michigan on the 27th - the 1st.

Anonymous said...

Shawn, I was so busy bragging to my co-workers about your great test results that I forgot to contgratulate you! Thost are some terrific numbers! Good job.