Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Bed & Breakfast

Being that this was our first trip to a B&B, I honestly wasn't quite sure what to expect. I was trying to stay open minded. As we headed over to the house, the first thing I noticed was that all along the street were other B&B's. That just seemed odd.



We arrived and as you can see, it was a very impressive house. As we got inside, it really hits you, this is someone's home and they are inviting you in to stay with them. I can understand how that would appeal to some people, but I just don't think it was my "thing".



As we got the tour of all the rooms, I was really impressed. This house had to be pretty old, but the inside looked so nice. You could tell that a lot of work had been done to the rooms to make them as comfortable and modern as possible. As we looked through our room, I got a little worried - I didn't see any DVD player! I quickly remedied this by swiping one from another room no one was staying in.



We later learned that the player from our room just recently broke, and it was no big deal that we grabbed the other one. One of the more interesting things came as we entered one of the rooms that was described to us as the most "controversial" room. Why do you ask? Well, because there was a toilet directly in the room:



I guess due to the proximity of the room to the edge of the house, the pipes had to be in a certain place to prevent them from freezing in the winter. This meant the toilet had to be positioned where it was. Apparently when one newly wed couple stayed there, the wife had to leave the room and stand out in the hall while the husband was doing his "business" inside. Too funny!

The hot tub was awesome, and the robes in our room were just great. Andrea liked them so much, she had to write down the information from the tags. She is going to want them for a Christmas present. (Shannon, if you are reading this, email me info on how I can get my hands on one!) The only problem is that after an early day of beer drinking followed by a big dinner and a long hot jacuzzi, we were dead tired by 9pm! We popped in a movie and both were asleep before 10pm. I must be getting old...

In the morning we had a breakfast of fruit, some huge slabs of ham, and a french toast type sandwich. They were french toast with cream and jelly in the middle. I covered them in syrup and gobbled them up. I honestly wanted to ask for seconds, but I wasn't sure on etiquette in that situation.

Like I said, I can see how B&B's might appeal to some people. That being, social people, extroverted people. Take the two people we met at breakfast for example. Both writers for a newspaper, in town for a wedding. It's there JOB to meet people. I'm a little too private to really dig on the B&B vibe. But hey, if this is only time I ever goto a B&B, it was definitely a nice one.

No comments: