Wednesday, March 28, 2007

One day at a time

I thought I'd made it through the worst part of work last week, but this week isn't turning out any better. Thankfully I have this weekend to look forward to, and a 3 day weekend at that. I need to stop having these worst case scenario thoughts. I'm sure I'm not at risk of losing my job at this point, but it constantly worries me. Right now our software has been found to have serious performance issues over the previous version in high volume stress tests. Why? I don't know... Maybe because it's had over 1.5 years of untested code changes? And what if the performance issues can't be resolved? Someone, somewhere is going to point fingers and need someone to blame. And then what if 1.5 years worth of development dollars get thrown out the window? That can't just happen without consequences. Ultimately I'd expect that falls on the shoulders of the project leads and project managers, but some days... I just wonder.

It doesn't help that the one time I did survive layoffs back at my first job, it was only worker drones that got laid off. Not a single management person was let go during the mass lay-offs. This was completely the wrong approach in my opinion, but who knows how companies make those kinds of decisions.

Enough about work... way back on October 8th last year I posted about how I ran over my bike with my car after the last ride of the season. I finally got it into the shop and had it looked at. The good news is that the frame wasn't bent like I originally thought. The bad news is that the wheel was in fact completely ruined. Replacing it is going to run me about $120 bucks. Sucks, but at least I don't have to buy an entire new bike. I shouldn't complain, I think Steve has gone through multiple tires on his bike.

Now I just have to figure out what kind of biking things I want to do this year. I think I want to do some more transporting of my bike to places and enjoying long miles of scenic paved bike trails. Things like the Gateway State Trail or maybe the Sakatah Singing Hills? Of course, there is also the possibility of going up north to the Paul Bunyan State Trail for a really long ride. 70+ miles of paved paths.

2 comments:

spock74 said...

There are some really fun trails at Itasca State Park. And as a bonus, Megan can dunk her toes in the source of the Mighty Mississippi. Go ahead, look it up;-)

Steve Eck said...

I have gone through a wheel, and several tire tubes. The Sakatah trail is very nice, I've ridden about 16-17 miles of it.

We should try it out this summer.