Sunday, October 01, 2006

Emotional Race

Shawn Anderson

bib number: 12168
age: 30
gender: M
location: Apple Valley, MN
overall place: 1287 out of 4608
division place: 116 out of 268
gender place: 780 out of 1725
time: 1:28:15
pace: 8:50
chip time: 1:25:49

Now that we got the numbers out of the way, on to the actual post. I was really hesitant to write about something specific that happened during my run today. For starters, it's intensely personal and also because, well I'd hate to ever profess doubts to my atheistic beliefs. But I'm getting ahead of myself... on to the story!

It begins with an item that was in my race packet. There was paper bracelet with 26 lines on it. The idea was to put the name of someone in your life for each mile of the marathon, and dedicate that mile to them. When I started running, for some reason that bracelet came into my thoughts. I thought to myself, who would I dedicate these 10 miles too?

As I went through the list of important people in my life, I tried to think of someone for each mile. It was hard enough trying to think of 10 people, good thing I didn't have to come up with 26! Although it was somewhat difficult coming up with 10 people, there were 2 miles that came to me first and almost instantly: the first, and last.

The first mile, I would've dedicated to myself. This might seem kind of selfish, but I've come to realize how important it is to take care of yourself. No matter how much love you might have for someone else and how much you want to take care of them, you can't do anything for anyone if you aren't taking care of yourself first.

The last mile, I would've dedicated to my Father, Michael Anderson. I can't say why I had the idea that I would want to dedicate the last mile to him, other then the fact that it just felt right. I think he would have been very proud of me and the man I've become, and I know for sure he would have loved being a grandpa. I think about him often when I'm pushing myself hard, and it helps motivate me.

I had these odd dedication thoughts somewhere around mile 2 or 3. I was pushing myself pretty hard the whole run, so by the end I had completely forgot about anything I might have been thinking about an hour ago. I saw the hour-30 finishing time within reach, and I didn't want to lose it, so I kept pushing myself harder then I expected I would. I knew the last 2 miles were going to be tough, but I didn't care.

As I entered the last mile, I was really spent, but still running well. I was tired and knew some final hills were coming up, and I wasn't sure I could keep up the pace I had maintained. As I rounded a corner, I heard some music playing that I instantly recognized: Bob Seger's Old Time Rock & Roll.

For those that don't know, Bob Seger was one of my Dad's favorite bands, and consequently, one of mine as well. I can't really hear any Bob Seger song and not think of him. So of course all my thoughts about dedicating the last mile to him immediately came flooding in... To have those thoughts, and now on the last mile, to hear this song playing, what were the odds?

I came really close to completely losing it at that point. If there was any time in my life I could recall feeling the presence of my Father, it was that moment. Hearing that song when I did was almost like a message from him saying "Great job, you can do it!". My breathing tightened up, and I tried to steady myself and stay focused on the task at hand. When I had regained my composer, I pushed myself as hard as I could. I was going to finish strong one way or another!

My last mile clocked in at 7:30 minutes. The last downhill to the finish line, my watch said I was running around a 6 minute mile. Once the big finishing clock was in sight, I saw the 1:27:00 on it, and knew I was about blow through the hour-30 goal. I had done it!

Thank you to everyone that has congratulated me, helped motivate me, or one way or another told me "Good job" over the last year of my life. And thank you Dad, I love you and I miss you.

- Shawn

6 comments:

Steve Eck said...

Congratulations on the impressive race!

I knew you would do well.

Anonymous said...

Great post - Congratulations, Shawn! I'm so proud of you! Keep up the great work - what's next? :)

Anonymous said...

Shawn,
I've very glad that I read this at home and not at work. It would have been pretty embarassing to be bawling at my desk! You are an amazing person in so many ways and I am very proud of the person you are. Love, Mom

brent said...

nice work shawn, congratulations. you are the man. i wish i could have watched you race it.

spock74 said...

Shawn, dude, I'm in awe. I'm just hoping you aren't becoming too good and wholesome of a person because I don't think I can keep up. Congratulations on your many accomplishments.

P.S. I actually happened to catch Bob Seeger on Leno a couple of weeks ago. Apparently it was his first national television appearance. Ever. He sounded pretty good!

Anonymous said...

Shawn - I'm moved. Your story is very touching. I'm with your mom, I totally cried.

Great time on the run! Good for you.

-Tareesa