Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Roleplaying Update

I haven't mentioned yet, but my old roleplaying group has finally started up again recently. We made GURPS characters a few weeks back. The plan was to play every 3 weeks, but now it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I'm pretty bummed out about that, for some reason I get really excited about it and then it always fizzles out. From my own attempts at starting a group to the other group I am a part of. Roleplaying every 4-5 weeks doesn't quite satisfy my gaming addictions. I NEED MY FIX MORE OFTEN THEN THAT. I even went out and bought a GURPS book just so I could have my own copy to memorize in between sessions. I hate not knowing the rules of a given gaming system, I think I'm the kind of player that GM's hate because I like to be able to quote any given rule for a situation (especially if that rule help something in my favor). Anyway, if your still reading by now, impressive. This was one of my best attempts to post about something no one understands or has a clue what I'm talking about. So now I can sneak in something totally random.

I been thinking a lot recently about friendships. I do this from time to time, I think back on the past friendships I've had and compare them to the friendships I have now. I try to define what it means to be a "Friend". What I can't seem to decide on, is if my past definition of friend was wrong or if the definition of a "Friend" changes as we get older. Are friends really just a random collection of people from your past that you see every few weeks or months for some idle chit-chat?

I guess what I miss the most, is the way that I used to be able to just sit down and talk with my "friends" about things more interesting then work, the weather, recent movies, or current events. Is it because we all become so wrapped up in our own lives that we don't have the time we used to? Or is it something even worse, do we lose the ability to talk about those things at all?

1 comment:

Scooter said...

Isn't that partially what your blog is for? Before the internet really took off, when I was in college back in the late 80s, I had to write snail mail to my friends - that was primarily where we talked about things that weren't current movies/etc. Now I post those things on my blog instead and my friends argue with me/leave comments there, but it seems to serve the same purpose and more of them know what I'm up to. Big issues we babble about in print so that when we get together we can play games and drink (though sometimes bigger topics of conversation do come up during game play) and not have to catch up.

I also think as you get older you refine the things you want to talk about and that requires finding new people with those exact interests - if you're into biking, you join a bike group. If your politics are liberal, you go to drinking liberally. If you need friends you can see other than over the web that is.