Saturday, March 04, 2006

The Tax Man Cometh

Quick addendum to last nights post - turns out the DVD was one of those that play automatically after a little bit. Honestly, I don't own too many movies that just START from the main menu. Anyway, the humor of the situation was still not lost...

I did end up having a few drinks last night. It's kinda hard not to when you wife says she's going out to grab some Corona and instead comes home with $100 dollars in booze. Maybe her week was harder then mine! But still, even after a few drinks and a night of video games until 1am, I managed to drag myself out of bed (with Andrea's help) early enough to get in a 3.5 mile run this morning at 8am. Felt good, Andrea got a good run in, we were both glad we did it. Next week starts my actual "training" program.

The reason we had to get our exercise in so early today was that we had a 10am appt with the Tax guy! (or woman, as it turns out) After realizing we didn't have all the documents we needed for a solid itemized return, we came home and Andrea headed off for her lunch with a friend and I returned to finish up the taxes.

Now, before I share the results, you have to understand that for the last, oh I don't know, 3 maybe 4 years, I've been paying out the ass every tax season. Anywhere from $800-$1500 dollars every single year. It was getting down right stupid. Even last year, AFTER buying a house we still owed. So this year, with Megan and a FULL year of mortgage payments I figured there was just NO way we should owe.

We went into today hoping for anything positive... any tax return would have been great. Andrea said not to get our hopes up, but I figured we were due at least a grand or something. When the final numbers added up, my jaw hit the floor. 3 grand Fed and 1.5 grand State! HELL YA!!! Can you say, time to upgrade my HDTV finally!?

No comments: